We went to see Biglittlethings with E's best friend. Unfortunately, my tummy decided to act up and I spent much of the show in the lady's. I prayed all the way home that I'd make it!
So, I'm going to the GBACG open house, and am thinking over costume ideas. If I dress, I want it to be something comfy, that doesn't take up too much room. So, 'Bethan is out. I was thinking of wearing the Archery Dress, but it really needs a corded petti. So, if I can manage it, I'm thinking of throwing together a simple Regency, and if time permits, a spencer or pelisse. Of course this means completing that Regency shift I've had cut out for ever. If I get started this week, I should be able to make the Jan. 31 dedline.
* on a side note, I wore the modern Regency today complete with short stays. Can I just say, those things are so much more comfy than modern support garments!
So here is where I stand....
Neck line trim stitched down.
Sleeve trim in the process of being stitched down.
To do tonight:
Hem skirt and apply trim.
Finish lower sleeve. (Got frustrated with them today)
Finish stitching sleeve trim.
I've cheated on closures. For now I am using snaps. They will eventually be changed to hook & eye, but the snaps were faster. And right now It's all about speed!
Ive also decided to go ahead and make the lower sleeve detachable. I foresee wearing this in late Sept. Around here you never know if your going to be baking or freezing in Sept. So this gives me options.
Pics to come soon!
Also need to apply the ribbon at waist seam.
As of right now I have 2 days and three nights to finish the Archery Gown!
Still to do:
I plan on doing this tonight.
Make lower sleeve.
also tonight if time
Finish trim for skirt.
Bind lower edge of upper sleeve.
Stitch down trim on bodice and sleeves.
hand sewing when ever possible.
Mark hem and apply binding.
Wednesday (I hope)
Now what I have been doing the last two days.
Gotta go feed the kid now, then it's back to work!
I did realize while cutting that I don't have any ribbon to cover the empire seam like they have in the original. Guess that means a trip to the fabric store. I also realized I have not made the pattern for the trim on the bottom. I'm still trying to decide how wide I want it. I think I'll pin the skirt to Gemma and try out different widths.
So, some progress, but nothing worth hauling the camera out for.
(It's May and it's going to be 97 deg. today. I hate the heat!)
I still need to get the stomacher/corset cover thingy for the Venetian done by Sunday. It's one of those finishing things that I can never find the motivation to do. But, I would like it to look nice for display on Sunday.
Perhaps I'll get some pics of the Archery Gown up tomorrow. It depends on how tired I am. I promised E's teacher I would help her get the class room ready for thier open house, which is in a week.
Not willing to go to bed with nothing at accomplished, I picked up the Modern Regency and worked on that. I'm happy to say that went much more smoothly. All that needs to be done is binding, add trim, and put on the closures! Done in less than 2 hours, Yeah! At least something went right.
I'll try and get some pics up later today or tomorrow for sure.
Now it's off to he fabric store to get some pink binding and the pet store to get Marshmallow some food.
Thanks to the awesome and fabulousjennil I have a pic of the back of the Archery gown! She so rocks! So, with pic in hand, I'm going to see if I can get the bodice back to look a it more like the original. I need to change the C.B. a bit, but otherwise, I think I have it looking fairly good.
My new plans for tonight:
Re-drape bodice back
Make B.B. pattern
Cut new back
If I have time, and feel up to it, I'll get it sewn to the front for a test run.
I have absolutely no sewing time during the days on weekends, and this is a long one. E doesn't have school on Monday. I would still like to get the Modern regency ready for P&P, 'cause i just think it would be fun!
It was only 9:00 when I decided I'd taken that as far as I should, so I decided to get a start on my Modern Regency dress. I'm using the Sense and Sensibility pattern for this one.I've not made this dress before and so need to do a mock up. I had a few yards of black cotton hanging around that I decided to use for the toil. If it works out, and fits properly, I'll add some pink trim and have a bonus dress! I might even have it ready by to wear when I go with friends to see the J.C.'s production of "Pride and Prejudice", How fun would that be? I prepped the pattern and cut and marked everything, so tonight I will stitch it together. Maybe I'll have progress pics tomorrow.
I've also made progress on the patterning for E's Faire Frock. I thing I'm going to add curved side back seams to make it look a little more period.
That pretty much sums it up for now
I think I will go with this pattern, the pinafore, as the starting point. I plan on taking out the pleat, and button closure. I'll leave a gap at center front so it won't lace completely closed. E is happy to be getting a new dress.
I think I also have found a way to take my Regency obsession of the moment into my everyday wardrobe! While looking through P.O.F. and comparing the half robe to the one from the Sense and sensibility patterns, thought why not make knee length in a modern cotton print. Leave off the sleeves, but keep all the original lines, ie: the dropped shoulder seam, curved side back seam and the pleats/gathers in the skirt. I'd have a cute summer dress, and fulfill my want to wear regency all the time. I could also layer it over a pair of jeans and wear it with a little sweater for cooler days. I'm super excited about this one and will have to restrain myself until I get the "Must Do" list done.